A team and I were tasked with taking a company’s service, a soft skill development workshop, and making it into a digital application. The end goal was to make a prototype the client could take to investors to develop further.


The process began with a workshop where my team and I used cue cards with Skillpod’s core values, professions, and physical and digital locations. With these three categories we made connections amongst the cards to make unique narratives. Upon workshop completion, we delivered 14 different personas, discovering the differences between the two Skillpod users, the mentor and learner.

Using the workshop and personas as research, the the team and I made rose charts, drawing conclusions about the Skillpod user. We compared the core values against location, learning styles, and needs. All this information was delivered to the client in a presentation in person.

Through this research four findings were synthesized:

  • 1. People want inspiration from each other.
  • 2. People feel insecure about what they lack and are willing to struggle alone.
  • 3. People are looking to learn in their own personal style.
  • 4. People experience mental blockers that stop them from succeeding.

From these discoveries above, we made the following observations about the existing system and content of Skillpod:

  • 1. The coach’s notes and feedback are static.
  • 2. Most of the learning currently done is self assessment and perception of self.
  • 3. All users are given information the same way.
  • 4. The current PLP can be confusing with useful information hidden.


The team and I designed several flows to ensure the user had a personalized experience, tackling the third finding listed above. Three distinct flows were mapped out for the potential users of the Skillpod system; learners, mentors, and now administrators, all taken form the research synthesis in the first phase of this project. It incorporated ways for learners and mentors to network and rate each other, envisioned Skillpod as a physical space, and allowed room for third-party Skillpod lessons.

What was agreed upon with the client and the design team moving forward was that the focus would be on the learner, and the potential customization of experience for this user group only. The team and I came up with a system where the learner was presented with the Skillpod content in a different customized order based on the needs and goals declared at the beginning of the experience.

Low resolution wireframes were done to solidify details in this user flow and to illustrate how the tasks would be communicated to the user in the application. The image below illustrates main concepts, including the Dashboard, Profile, Module Flow, and Portfolio.

Using HTML, CSS and Javascript, two versions of a prototype where given to the client. Once positive approval came from the client on the second prototype, the team began learning React and developed the final web application.

Skillpod’s brand colours, patterns, logo and font were taken into consideration in the prototypes and the team of students followed the look and feel of Skillpod’s identity; delivering flat, bold, colourful graphics. Below you can see a mock up of some of the final screens delivered to the client.

skill2-2 skill3 skill4 skill5 skill6 skill7